Sunday, April 13, 2008

The effect of music on me

There's something funny about the effect of music on me. If I get addicted to a tune, REALLY addicted to it, I forget about everything else. It's like having a crush: there's you, there's the song, and no other song can fill your need for listening to music like that one does.

Like many strong crushes I've had, also, the song is forgotten after a while. Few of them are songs for keeping, I suppose. Less of them are songs I'd actually love. This is a metaphor for my pattern of relationships, oh God. How predictive I am. Or, well, how predictive we all are. Let's see.
There's that first sign of attraction we've all felt for so many songs. That song has something that gets your attention, it sticks in your head, you've noticed something special about it. You find yourself thinking about that song a lot, and, well, if you're a little sick like me, obsessing over it.

Then, there's the actually going out, and you'll find out if that song has what it takes for you to actually date it. Then, comes trust: does that song really mean something for you? You'll find that it has flaws and not just qualities, you'll see that sometimes it can make you cry like it's the end of the world. And then, even when you go through this same process with other songs, you'll find yourself going back to that few special ones. They're your keepers. They are the ones that can make you feel so good about yourself - even if, sometimes, they make you think about all the bad things in your life and how everything is not ok. Or, if that doesn't happen, you'll soon get tired of the song, find out that you were only interested in it superficially and move on to the next song. Circle of life, people.

But, yes, I'm feeling a little optimistic today about love and songs. I can be single, but my "songs for a lifetime" are my friends. They're my keepers.

Anyhow, speaking of songs, I've got a new one coming back to my head. I know it for a while, but just now it's really getting to me.



Listening To: OCEAN DEEP by Cliff Richard meet my current crush. Who knows, it could be a keeper O_o

No comments: