Friday, October 2, 2009

do you believe in soulmates

Do you believe in soulmates? In 'the love of your life'? One person thats destined to fit better with you than anyone else? Or more than one soulmates?

I've been asking this question to a lot of people and getting a lot of different answers.

I've always believed.. or wanted to believe.. that there is such a thing as the one great love of one's life. Maybe its destiny or souls or something else.. but there is one person out there for whom you will feel a kind of love that sinks in and never leaves.. selfless even. I've believed that this love is not dependent on chemistry or biology or physics.. its all transcending. The one person that will always be a part of you no matter what you do and where you go. The kind of love that becomes your reason to smile.. your purpose.. a sweet pain.

I thought this was a fairly simple concept.. I thought it was quite universal too. Then I asked my fren a simple question, 'Do you believe in soulmates?'.. and he said 'No! How can you?'. I was a little surprised.

His thoughts were that love is nothing more than a chemical reaction in the brain.. it happens when we see a person that our bodies amd minds recognise as a suitable mate and then you get attached to the person and its as simple as that.

How does that explain the longing in one's heart.. the times when you think of your love and the call you the very same instant.. the fact that you can never really get them out of your head.. it seems like too small an explanation for such a big phenomenon!

So I asked other people.. my curiosity having been aroused.. some said yes, some said no, some said they dont believe in love at all.. but I didnt find any compelling reason or proof to believe either yes or no.

One person told me that love may be caused by chemical reactions in the brain, but then how is there just one person that can make the chemicals go that wild? It must be more than just that.

I think as of now I'm agreeing with him.. if its just chemistry, evey person should give you the same kind of high. Just like if you drink alcohol, it will always give you a high no matter what kind it is.. thats chemistry.. but love is so not like that. You cant make yourself really lurrrve someone if you try and similarly theres always the one person you cant forget if you try. So it is chemistry yes, but more than that. I think theres something inside us that recognises another person as a love higher than all others.. something we see in that person that make our brain chemicals induce a love like no other.

I've heard of the theory that soulmates are two parts of the same soul and they see that in each other.. I'm a little sceptic of that.. I'm still questioning the soul/ spirit theory a little bit.. I dont disbelieve it but I still want to be convinced more.

So that brings me back to the question I've been asking all along.. what do you think of this? Is love just an animal instinct.. chemicals and nothing more? Is there destiny/ soul involved in this? Or something else.. something special? Or is love bullshit and I'm just too naive to see it? What are your reasons for believing what you do, if any?

Love makes the world go round.. or so they say.

4 comments:

LaViaP said...

Back in 2002 I met this wonderful young lady. I didn’t really know much about her back then. Early 2003, I visited one place at Lahad Datu and a few months after that, that young lady and I were together. Only then I realized that the place I visited was her village. And who would have guess that in 2007, it was where she would be laid to rest.

To me, its chemistry and destiny working hand in hand. Believe me, your soul mate is out there, and he is trying to find you.

alishaz said...

oyea.....im waiting...~~di BK hahhahh!!!

LaViaP said...

which BK? maybe he is already there but wrong outlet hehehe

Bella Luna said...

If soulmates really exist, and the channel that proves its existence is marriage, then what do u call a divorce?

I believe in good heart and good intention. With good intention, love can never go wrong, and with good heart, God shall give good soulmate to take care of it.

p/s: Found your blog by accident. It's good.