Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Looking at the reflection in the mirror

Looking at the reflection in the mirror, I ponder for a moment. Remembering times when life was far more complex and much less difficult. Wondering if I will gain control of who I am, what I stand for and my future?

My happiness depends on myself and myself only. I feel as though I have an idea of what that might compel. However I have not the slightest idea of what it will take to really get there. Things can seem so out of reach sometimes. I'm just trying day by day to get a little further, jumping hurdles and working my way through the obstacles that are laid out in front of me. I seem to be getting very good at dodging what life is throwing at me though.

As I continue to stare at my reflection, I notice something. I'm jaded, it is written all over my face and there is no denying that I have neglected myself. Taking all the time in the world to please everyone around me, I have simply pushed myself to the side and left no time to tend to me. I seem to be spinning in circles trying to make sense of what is twirling around me. It is all moving too fast, I find it hard grasp on to anything when it is flying by me at the speed of light. The reflection staring back at me is clearly trying to tell me something. It is just a matter of figuring it all out.

Life seems much more complicated these days, far more than it ever has before. I find myself second guessing who I really am and what it is I want out of my life. But I am surely working on it. And as I stare deeper into the face looking back at me, I realize I am a lot stronger than I put off. And with that strength I will make it through anything. I know what my boundaries are and I carry my values and self-respect with me no matter where I go. I have grown to be independent and strong willed. I just have to let go of my insecurities and fears to allow myself to become who I want to be.


No comments: